Azure offers a wide range of services, so here are just a few examples as a helpful, first port of call at Azure.
- SQL databases: Classic Microsoft T-SQL, available e.g. as a fully managed SQL database or highly customizable SQL server managed instance.
- Azure Cosmos DB: noSQL database, well suited for storing IoT messages. Data are queried via Mongo API or SQL API.
- Azure Data Lake Storage (ADLS) gen2: The central storage hub of many modern data platforms. Low-cost and high-performance file storage with hierarchical namespace for detailed access management.
- Azure Synapse analytics: Comprehensive analytics platform with dedicated or serverless SQL pool. Extensive ETL features, as well as Spark notebooks for advanced analytics.
- Azure Purview: This data catalogue can be used to scan and classify various data sources and sinks (especially data affected by CDPR). Data processing steps are displayed and can always be traced.
There are many more options - in total, Azure offers hundreds of different services ranging from classic virtual machines to highly abstracted no/low-code tools.